Saturday, May 3, 2008

Kupo!

Being as I am a child of my generation, I have always been an avid computer lover & TV watcher. And, spending my teenage years in a small town, with nothing much to do, I became a video game addict. Not all video games, mainly the one player fantasy/adventure games. Like Final Fantasy.

I remember when I played my first Final Fantasy game, I stayed glued to that console for days. Constantly hogging it. I can't remember exactly how long it took me to finish the game but I'm pretty sure it was a matter of days.

That was Final Fantasy 7. Then I moved on to Final Fantasy 8 but didn't really like it. Gave up the addiction for a while. Then came Final Fantasy 9. God how I loved that one! I never got to finish it because it belonged to a friend. After I moved to California I had my tonsils or wisdom teeth taken out, can't remember which, and a couple dear friends bought me a $50 PlayStation. First thing I did, even under the influence of prescription drugs, was go out and buy FF9. I played almost as much as I did the first game...but not quite. I was getting better. :)

Then I became busy and the PlayStation collected dust. Since then SquareSoft has come out with numerous Final Fantasy games. Ten, Ten-2 (not sure what that's about), Eleven, Twelve, who knows how many others...what to do. The lure was too much. I had to play again. :)

So, last month Josh decided he desperately wanted a PS3 for a new baseball game they had come out with. I told him he could buy a PS3 if I could buy a PS2 (so we could both play our games at the same time and not squabble like school children over whose turn it is). He agreed to my bargain (yes, this is quite similar to last years deal; he can have an XBox 360 if I get a Wii. I got my Wii, he never went out and got his XBox. But he does enjoy the Wii as much as I do).

So, PS2 set-up and waiting for me, I went scouring for FF10. I found it on EBay, it came two days later and I feel the familiar obsession starting in already. I've been very good though. I play at most, two -three hours a day...hmm, better make that on average. Attention does not get taken away from Bug, she loves her independant play and I used to spend that time on the computer or watching TV, I feel it's much better used this way. Yes, I could do dishes or clean the house, but then I'd have nothing to do after Bug goes to bed....and that's the time the obsession would take hold. I'm positive I'd stay up into the wee hours of the night playing. So, after Bug goes to bed, the PlayStation does as well.

And that means I do.

And then I dream of Chocobos, Moogles and Summoners...... (yes I know you probably don't know what the hell I'm talking about but that's ok, some of you do, and those are the ones who will understand the obsession)

No comments: