Saturday, August 16, 2008

"Well blow me down"

I know I haven't written in a while, I guess you could say I've had writer's block, in the sense that I'm worn out and exhausted from a long week with the kid. More on that later. Well, I had all these posts in mind because I have a lot to catch you all up on and while I'd intended to get them posted tonight I now find myself unable to think.

I just found out a few hours ago that we are on a Hurricane Watch. Oh goodie. Joy to me.

Seriously, a hurricane, on Tuesday. Thrilling. I'm thinking about relocating for the week. I already talked to the in-laws, they'll take me and Bug! Daddy has to work ... go figure. Damn Indians.

There's a very good advantage to a hurricane over other disasters and that is that you can plan and get prepared for them. Wanna know what the disadvantage is? Huh, do ya? do ya? I'll tell you anyway, the disadvantage is that you have ample time to panic and freak out. Although with me, two hours is time enough. I don't like this feeling. I'm used to earthquakes and blizzards.

Earthquakes are easy. They hit, you deal, they're over, move on. You just have to have a 'shit happens' mentality about it and not spend every day worrying.

I don't really remember being worried about blizzards. The ones that happened (if there were any, which I don't really remember), well they just happened. I think the worst that ever happened was when there was so much snow I couldn't get up the hill to go to school. I don't think I ever thought of that as a problem, more like a damn good excuse for once.

"Hello, Attendance Office? Yes, this is Kristen Gustafson, I'm snowed in and won't be able to make it to school today. What? No, there's no party, I'm snowed in. No seriously, I'm snowed in. Honest, there's NO PARTY. Oh forget it, mark me down as un-excused, not gonna tarnish my record anymore than it already is."

So to have time to worry about something that just recently eradicated New Orleans..... well lets just say I'm on edge. We went to the store tonight for canned goods and extra baby stuff and ended up with some beer for my nerves. I'm on my third. We'll see how it goes from here.

Luckily Josh is off on Monday so I just have to get through tomorrow (which will be spent organizing and trying to get things together, just in case) and then Monday I should be able to relax a bit more.

So I just wanted to let you all know what was going on here in windy, mucky South Florida. Hopefully I'm over-paranoid and it all blows over. HA! Did you see what I did there? I'm punny.

Ok, off to try to relax now. Bu-bye!


* Edit: Ok, so it's not really windy here. Actually quite calm. Very calm. Calm before the storm perhaps? Let's hope not.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG a hurriacane! I would be totally freaked out. Are you ready to come back to 120 heat yet? Miss you. You better let us know you're ok. Don't go so long between blogs. I miss reading them.

Amy said...

Yes, you are very punny.